Over time I have accumulated sentence stems for talking to students about their art.
- Tell me about… (the drawing)
- vs. What do you need help with…
- have students explain the story of the work
- Tell me more…
- A follow up for “tell me about”
- or Give me some more details….
- have students tell you about their vision for an artwork
- Tell me about the idea….
- vs. tell me about the project
- What would happen if…..
- I noticed that…
- One thing I’m thinking about…
- Honors students work and ideas
- Tell me about the steps you took to get here…
- have students walk you through
- Follow up with… tell me about what you were thinking when you started the project
- WHO… are these people
- WHEN… did this take place
- WHERE… is this taking place?
- How does that make you feel…
- Requiring students to defend their work
- This looks like… some artist
- Does not get anywhere
- Does not honor the things they are thinking about
- Yes or no questions