Tools for using video in the classroom
Be specific about instructions when watching videos to encourage active viewing.
Ask students to:
- Jot down a reflection when an even occurs
- Raise their hand during a specific event or quote
- Be prepared to respond to a specific prompt at the end of the video
- Talk about what active viewing looks like
Augment the video by:
- Pause the video and asking specific questions
- Check for understanding
- Do you guys check that out? What does that mean?
- Pausing the video and ask students to talk about what just happened with a partner
- Not 10-minute just a quick 2-minute conversation
- Playing the video twice and explain that you will be watching it twice
- For short videos
- Hiding the video and only showing the audio of the footage
- Listen to this artist and tell me what you think the work looks like
- Turning off the audio……
- What do you think they are saying?